Our ancestors have been using simple home remedies for thousands of years to treat many of the common ailments affecting the body. With modern medicines becoming popular, we have almost lost touch with these ancient practices. We wouldn’t have believed our grandparents if they had told us how simple everyday plants or herbs has such powerful healing properties. A turmeric or aloe vera has very strong medicinal properties that they are used in several traditional medical preparations to cure many diseases. With the indiscriminate use of antibiotics, it is only recently that people have begun to realize the harmful side effects of these chemicals on the human body.
Antibiotics apart from killing the harmful bacteria, also kills the useful ones that are needed by our body. This makes the body take a longer time to heal. It is for this reason that people have started to look back to the traditional medical practices and have started to realize their benefits. These herbal remedies are becoming popular and are once again promoted actively.
Home remedies are traditionally made at home from easily available herbs, fruits or vegetables. These home remedies apart from being inexpensive are also very safe to use and causes no side effects. Many of them have been tried and tested for many years and have been found to be effective. Almost all traditional natural remedies like Ayurveda or traditional Chinese medicines use naturally available substances to make their medicines. They strengthen the body immune system and are useful to treat many types of minor infections and skin problems.
Some very simple home remedies which have been recommended by expert natural remedy practitioners are given below.
- Aloe vera is an easily available herb which has strong anti-inflammatory properties. When aloe vera gel is applied to burnt skin, it acts like a second skin and protects it from air which irritates the exposed nerve endings. Aloe vera gel can also be very effectively used to relieve constipation. Two tablespoons of aloe gel mixed with a glass of water or fruit juice helps relieve constipation.
- To soothe sore throat, it is recommended to mix six crushed cloves of garlic to warm water and gargle twice daily. The sore throat should heal within 3 days. This is because of the antimicrobial properties of garlic which fight bacteria causing pain in the throat. The warm water helps sooth inflamed tissues.
- 1-2 teaspoons of sugar when swallowed during hiccups can stop the attack. The dry granules of the sugar are able to stimulate and reset the irritated nerves causing spasms in the diaphragm. Salts too work fine, but salt is not as easy to eat as sugar.
- For night coughs, 2 teaspoons of honey with Ester C (nonacidic) 30 minutes before bed will help soothe the cough. Honey is said to boost the immune system and works better than a cough suppressant. A couple of squares of dark chocolate also help suppress cough. A compound called theobromine is present in chocolates that helps relive coughs without the usual side effects like drowsiness or constipation which are caused by cough syrups.
- Cranberries have been found to help heal urinary tract infections and some kidney problems and also helps remove kidney stones. Cranberries can be taken raw, in the dried form or in the form of juice. It has many health benefits and helps improve immunity and fight infections. The calcium in cranberries is good for the teeth and enamel.
- A simple mixture of a tablespoon of olive oil taken with a teaspoon of lime juice in an empty stomach in the morning helps relieve constipation. Similarly, one lemon mixed in a glass of warm water taken in the mornings helps to remove all toxins from the body.
- A tablespoon of honey mixed with a tablespoon of milk or yoghurt can be used as a face mask to clear the skin of acne and other blemishes.
- Sugar when placed on burnt tongue will relieve the pain and give it a soothing effect. Placing ice cubes on the tongue when we accidently swallow hot food is another effective method to soothe the pain and heal the tongue. Gargling with salt water too helps.
These are just some very simple examples of how we can use easily available stuff at home to cure many of the home ailments that affect us. Thousands of such remedies which have been documented and are easily available online or as books. There are also many medicines available to treat a multitude of diseases. There are also qualified practitioners of natural medicine who can prescribe medicines best suited to solve many of the common health problems. These medicines are safe to use, they contain no chemicals and hence do not produce any harmful side effects.
So do try some of these natural remedies yourself before you open the bottle and pop in the next pill.