Atos Medical has been in the medical device industry since 1986 and has more than 30 years of experience in product development, research and clinical tests. Moreover, it has a long-standing tradition of clinical evidence showing their products perform well and are safe to use. The concept of Evidence & Experience is at the core of their production. This article is all about the Atos Medical Therabite Jaw Motion Rehabilitation System which is useful after conditions such as trismus and mandibular hypomobility. Read on for the full product review.
Atos Medical Therabite Jaw Motion Rehabilitation System
Atos Medical TheraBite Jaw Motion Rehabilitation System is a clinically proven, anatomically correct system designed to restore mobility after trismus and mandibular hypomobility. Patients require to control and hand operates the TheraBite System for a repetitive passive motion to stretch the jaw, joint and facial tissues. This stretch offers improved mobility, flexibility, function, and reduction in swelling and pain. The average sustainable gain from this unit in jaw opening is around 1– 1.5 mm per week.
Atos Medical Therabite Jaw Motion Rehabilitation System
Atos Medical TheraBite Jaw Motion Rehabilitation System is a clinically proven, anatomically correct system designed to restore mobility after trismus and mandibular hypomobility. Patients require to control and hand operates the TheraBite System for a repetitive passive motion to stretch the jaw, joint and facial tissues.
In several studies, clinical trials and successful testing, this unit shows to be helpful in post-surgical and post-radiation trismus, trauma, TMJD, facial burns, stroke, orofacial pain and non-surgical TMJ conditions. It is also useful to reduce muscle pain by reducing joint inflammation and prevent reduced muscle strength during (chemo) radiation in the head and neck area.
The TheraBite Jaw Motion Rehabilitation System is available in both adult and pediatric versions. The Standard Version generally fits Adults and Children over 10-years-old (4.8 mm across) while the Pediatric Version is useful for users under 10-years-old (3.1 mm across).
Atos Medical Therabite Jaw Motion Rehabilitation System Features
- Anatomically correct – The unique feature of TheraBite Jaw Motion is its ability to follow the naturally curved motion of the jaw. The patented curved track of this unit guides the mandible along an anatomically correct pathway whilst stretching and strengthening the surrounding musculature.
- Patient-controlled – The patient is in complete control when using the TheraBite system. The user can directly adjust its speed and opening range with manual force, or the Fine Adjustment Knob. This feature helps to reduce anxiety levels and improve compliance.
- Portable – This is a lightweight and durable device. It comes with a carrying Bag to easily store and allow the patient to continue their rehabilitation program wherever they go.
- Load-bearing comfort – The mouthpieces that attach to the Jaw Mobilizer in such a way that the load-bearing forces of stretching spread across the teeth. Together with the Bite Pads, they promote a comfortable even stretch while also protecting the patient’s teeth.
- Effective –This clinically proven Jaw Motion device is an effective way of jaw therapy for Passive motion and stretching exercises. Thousands of patients suffering from more than 30 different conditions, ranging from post-radiation trismus to orofacial pain, have successfully used it.
Atos Medical Therabite Jaw Motion Rehabilitation Treatment Benefits
- This system allows easy and comfortable home use rehabilitation program
- It encourages continuity and compliance
- It allows users to realize the full beneficial value of motion wherever they are
- Proves to be far more effective than exercises and tongue depressors
- It helps maximize jaw range-of-motion
- It prevent stiffness and scar tissue
- Early detection and intervention with TheraBite Jaw Motion can help patients counter this debilitating condition and prevent costly complications which may compromise their quality of life and health
- It helps nourishes joint tissue
- It aids in reducing joint pain and inflammation
- Easy home use means there is less need for clinical intervention
- It helps speed up recovery
- This treatment helps improve jaw function
- It develop jaw muscle strength
- Proven to be considerably less costly than the other alternatives as there is no requirement to fabricate the castings of the teeth of an individual
- Its hand-operated feature avoids the cost and complexity of continuous passive motion (CPM) devices
Atos Medical Therabite Jaw Motion Rehabilitation System Indications
Arthritis, Arthroscopy, Arthro-fibrosis, Disuse Atrophy, Joint Replacement, Facial Muscle Disorders, Meniscectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstructive Surgery, TMJ/TMD, Trauma, Trismus.
Atos Medical Therabite Jaw Motion Rehabilitation System Treatment objectives
- It helps increase range of motion of jaw – Stretches Connective Tissue, Strengthens Weakened Muscles and mobilizes Joints
- Pain Reduction – Reduces Joint Inflammation and Muscle Pain
- Increase Mouth Opening (maximal incisal opening or MIO)
Atos Medical Therabite Jaw Motion Treatment Components
- Range Setting Arm – The range setting arm position is adjustable between 25-45 mm and helps to determine utmost opening appropriate to each stage of rehabilitation.
- Bite Pads – These are self-adhesive pads that spread the force across the teeth. They can be trimmed or stacked for customized protection. The Bite Pads come included in both adult and pediatric versions.
- The range of Motion Scales – The disposable Range of Motion Scales allows the patient and clinician to make jaw opening measurements and monitor progress.
- Carrying Bag – The included durable nylon Carrying Bag keeps the TheraBite Jaw system and accessories safe and together.
- Patient Progress Log – The daily and monthly Patient Progress Log allows the user and treating doctor to monitor progress.
- Fine Adjustment Knob – This component is useful to regulate opening speed and distance if needed.
- Hand-Aid – The Hand-Aid assists the patient to maintain a constant opening during stretching or strengthening programs
Atos Medical Therabite Jaw Motion Rehabilitation System Product Inclusions
- (1) Jaw mobilizer
- (4) Bite pads
- (1) Hand-aid
- (30) Range of motion scale
- (1) Carrying bag
- (1) Instructions for use
- (1) Patient progress log
Atos Medical Therabite Jaw Motion Treatment Protocol to Use
Before starting to use this treatment, every patient should consult a doctor, who will prescribe a customized program of exercise tailored to the unique needs and abilities of the patient.
However, the commonly used treatment program is 7-7-7 Protocol. This means 7 stretches performed 7 times a day and each stretch held for 7 seconds. Hence, in total, you will be using this for fewer than ten minutes a day. People suffering from muscle and/ or joint pain may benefit from longer stretch exercises. Thus, a suggested treatment program with longer stretches is 5-5-30. This means 5 stretches performed 5 times a day or more, each stretch held for 30 seconds.
It is important to perform regular monitoring, review, and evaluation by a properly trained clinician while on this treatment program. Depending on the patient condition and the opinion from a clinician, the required type of program may get modify over time. Tip – the Jaw motion rehabilitation exercise is effective only when the user uses it every day on a regular basis.
Atos Medical Therabite Jaw Motion Rehabilitation System How to Use?
The simple steps on using the 7-7-7 Protocol – 7 stretches 7 times per day, each stretch hold for a 7-second pause are
- 1 – Peel off tape from the bite pad to apply bite pads to mouthpieces
- 2 – The longer the bite pads sit on the mouthpieces the stronger they adhere
- 3 – Place mouthpieces comfortably between teeth
- 4 – Squeeze the level gently to the point of resistance. Hold for 7 seconds
- 5 – Slowly close the mouth and pause for 7 seconds
- 6 – Squeeze the level again to the point of resistance and Hold for 7 seconds
People with Mandible or Maxilla bone fracture (upper and lower jaw); and other bone weaknesses, bone infections, osteomyelitis, and osteoradionecrosis of the jaw should consult their doctor before use.
If you experience a sharp pain while using the device, stop using it immediately. If the pain persists or recurs, contact your doctor.
Atos Medical Therabite Jaw Motion Rehabilitation System Customer Reviews
Patients say it is very helpful system and works great for its intended job. Further, they say it costs nearly $500 which is slightly expensive, but worth the money. Read below few actual users feedback –
- Tina says this device works as described but is extremely expensive for a simple piece of plastic. However, it works as promised.
- Alexis says this is a great product and a genius could only design it. It is very simple to use but pricey. He bought it for his mom to use post surgery. She uses it regularly and the results are really satisfying for her and her doctor.
- Butts McCracken says it does what it’s supposed to do. He is using it after jaw surgery and it has helped him increase the range of motion by 6 mm. he says this system is durable, solidly made and easy to use.
- Peter says this is actually 2nd purchase as it is a great tool for jaw motion improvement
Frequently Asked Questions
Is TheraBite Jaw Motion treatment more effective than conventional therapies?
Most of the conventional therapies rely on stretching to increase jaw mobility, while this system focuses not only on stretching in comfortable and anatomically correct manner, but also provides passive motion to strengthen muscle and mobilize joints.
I am a doctor. Can I purchase one for use in my clinic with multiple patients? Can I sterilize its plates for re-use?
No, this system designed is for single patient use only.
Atos Medical Therabite Jaw Motion Treatment Program Conclusion
There are numerous studies performed on this product and Atos Medical is proud to achieve more and stronger evidence for the product better performance than any other competitors. If you or anyone you know has trismus and mandibular hypomobility or similar condition, this treatment option should be your top choice. Always keep in mind to consult your doctor before starting to use Therabite Jaw Motion system or any other treatment program.
I finished my masters in finance and worked for the Largest Private sector banking company in India. When the time came, I moved on to something less demanding and more creative. The influence of Indian culture asks us to put satisfaction upfront and I was in search of it. Writing struck me as a possibility and soon a passion. I am not creative but I am very thorough. Technical writing is my forte and at times I do delve into the creative side, though the stint usually lasts not more than a day! I enjoy traveling, reading and shopping.