Oww…those onion breath really makes you scram away from the person who is now blowing it at your face…Yikess!!! Worst you have to keep a poker face without cringing and running away. Okay, I might be exaggerating a teeny bit, but let’s keep the cringing factor as it is.
Let’s face it, be it a romantic date or an official meeting, no likes stinky-breath. Okay, jokes apart, bad breath is one of the common problems faced by many. While sometimes it is the food, at times it is the health that evokes bad breath in a person. Now it might be unfortunately you or your friends or family. Sadly even a health conscious person who practices oral hygiene undergoes an episode of bad breath happens when he/she least expects.
Here are 12 natural ways to fix bad breath
Stating the obvious ways are brushing and flossing. While it is vital to brush your teeth twice a day, a toothbrush also plays an important role in keeping bad breath away. A toothbrush passing for retirement will miss those hard to reach areas. Make sure you use soft to medium bristle toothbrush that are gentler for your teeth and gums.
While brushing gets rid of major germs in the surface, flossing works as a supportive aid by dislodging any food particles that your toothbrush is unable to reach. For optimum oral health, it is essential to floss regularly as the food will fill in between the teeth and breed bacteria and if you give them more energy, they will release stinky acids that release bad breath. Another benefit of flossing is they get rid of periodontal disease.
Here are 12 natural remedies to get rid of bad breath and freshen your breath.
- Drink plenty of water: Whenever your mouth tends to get dry, they tend to cause odor causing bacteria that emit foul smell. Did you know that saliva has oxygen that disables the plague growth in your mouth? The key here is to drink lots of fluids especially water to keep bacteria at bay. Munch on some powerhouse combo such as tangy oranges, kiwis, strawberries etc. that are rich in vitamin C and fight tartar thus safeguarding your oral health. They create an acidic environment that makes it hard for the plague to reside in.
- Organic toothbrushes: Instead of grabbing a mouth freshener that is nothing but sugar coated candies, try natural toothbrushes as an alternative. They not only kill the bad breath spreading fungi but also scrub your teeth easily. Few of these supernatural foods include apples, raw carrots or even a celery will do great work for you. This is because these crisp and crunchy fruits and veggies come with fiber that can give even the best brands of toothbrushes a good run for their money.
- DIY lemon ice candies: Did you know that salivary glands produce 3 pints of saliva daily which when combined with other factors can help you fight bacteria that cause bad breath? Bottomline, dry mouth means bad breath. Prepare ice cubes by adding lemon juice and when frozen break to hard candy sized chunks. Pop whenever you are in need and when they melt in your mouth and the citric acid in the lemon stimulate the salivary glands.
- Rinse you mouth naturally: Here is a simple alcohol free mouthwash that you can DIY anytime. Mix 1 cup of water with a teaspoon of sodium bicarbonate (baking soda), add a few drops of peppermint oil. While baking soda changes the water’s pH level, peppermint comes with anti-microbial properties that fight foul odors. Swish this mix in your mouth for 30 seconds and then spit it out.
- Green or black tea: Both these teas are rich in polyphenol that is a powerful antioxidant and inhibits plague formation from your teeth. Apart from other dental problems, inhabiting plagues can deliver bad odor. Studies show that polyphenols inhibit the growth of bacteria in the mouth thus alleviating the foul smelling compounds that bacteria tends to produce.
- Scrape your tongue: Believe it or not your pinkish tongue breeds lot of microbes. These germs love to munch on dead cells that gather around on top of your tongue. This is one of the main reasons why you release foul breath. Get rid of this bacteria buffet by scraping your tongue at least once a day. However note that scrapping is not much effective as they do not clear away the dead cells. Make sure to get as far back on your tongue as much as possible.
- Do not skip any meal: Skipping your meals for a long period of time is definitely the best way to welcome microbes in your mouth. If you want a fresh and crisp breath, ensure that you consume healthy meals every day without a miss. An empty tummy leads to bad breath as the acids in the stomach build up.
- Drink your milk: Sip milk in between to get rid of bad breath especially before or during meals, says a study published in Journal of Food Science 2010. This is because the fat in milk neutralizes the sulfur while the water content in milk works as mouth rinse. Note that whole milk is much more effective than skimmed because it contains more fat.
- Fresh herbs for refreshing breath: Munch on fresh sprigs such as rosemary, thyme, basil, parsley, cilantro or mint fora refreshing flavor that lingers on your mouth for a good while. This is because of the chlorophyll content in the herbs that neutralizes the odors. They also contain monoterpenes that swoosh around from your bloodstream to lungs finally releasing with your breath.
- Zinc supplements: Halitosis colloqually known as bad breath occurs due to mineral deficiency especially zinc. Make sure to consume zinc supplements and consuming lot of zinc rich foods such as poultry, nuts, seeds, beans etc. that address that targets the bodily system and fixes it right from the core.
- Good bacteria for healthy oral life: Sometimes issues in the gastrointestinal tract (GI) can cause mouth odor. It all comes down to the bacteria that lives happily in your GI and how it metabolizes the food you eat. So changing the bacteria can affect the odors in the mouth.
This is why it is crucial to boost the good gut bacteria by implementing fermented milk products such as live yogurt in your daily diet. Probiotic supplements also inhibit growth of impish bacteria.
- ACV or Apple Cider Vinegar: Get rid of indigestion by diluting one tablespoon of ACV in a glass of water. Drink it before each meal or simply swish in your mouth for 10 seconds after every meal. This is because indigestion is also the reason why you feel bad breath. Apple Cider Vinegar comes with antibacterial properties that kills the bacteria responsible for spreading odor orally.
Apart from flossing and brushing, make sure you initiate any of the natural remedies for fighting bad breath. However, if you are having bad breath all the time inspite of trying all the good old remedies, it is a symptom of underlying health issue. Talk to your dentist and ensure that there are not any medical condition lurking underneath.
I am an aeronautical engineer by profession. Between my graduation and my first recruitment, I had a space to fill. The letters would come in months. In the meanwhile i did want to do something and my FIRST job was indeed as a content writer. A student of science trying her hands on art could be disastrous but it was a good one. I learned more than engineering and flying. Health, gadgets, food , travel and a whole lot of things came flooding to me in the form of words. Writing did happen and in a nice way.