Plant toxicity in pets is a major problem in many families. There are many lethal plants that are both indoor and outdoor. These plants when chewed by the cats, dogs or other pets can cause many health problems. Although these plants does not have real poison but can sure upset their body systems.
Some plants have their leaves that are not fit for the pets, while other plants have their flowers. It is the bulb of other plants. These plants produce some toxic substances that trigger reactions in the pet’s body. It affects us humans also. Depending on the toxicity and consumption, the reactions will be mild to death.
It would be dangerous to leave the pets alone at home when there are these poisonous plants placed inside. Here is a small account of poisonous plants that are not fit for houses with pets around.
- Aloe vera, the highly medicinal plant is toxic to the pets. The latex from the leaves is irritating to the cats and dogs. The accidental consumption may show diarrhea, vomiting, tremors, anorexia, urine color change etc. If you like to have an Aloe vera plant at home, make sure that it is kept away from the pet’s reach.
- Caladium is a bulbous plant with attractive foliage. It is one the most popular house pants. As much as the plant is attractive, almost parts of this plant are toxic to pets as well as to humans. Accidental consumption of the part of this plant may trigger burning sensation in the mouth and tongue. The pet may show difficulty in breathing, and will have difficulty in swallowing. Nausea, vomiting, drooling, staggering, and head shaking are other signs that your pet may have consumed this plant.
- Chrysanthemum has a not so plants smell but some pets seem to love it. They are attracted to this plant and chew on it. Do keep in mind that the plant can cause some discomfort in pets. The common toxicity symptoms like vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, and skin irritations may occur.
- Daffodils: The flowers have a toxic substance called lycorine that triggers vomiting. The bulb, plant part or the flower may cause this symptom, along with diarrhea, respiratory troubles, etc. The bulbs may cause tissue irritation and excessive salivation.
- Dieffenbachia is another houseplant with beautiful foliage. The leaves of this plant have calcium oxalate crystals that are dangerous. Though the toxicity is only mild, why take chances when there are pets running around. Excessive salivation and swelling at the throat etc are the visible symptoms.
- Hyacinths have toxic bulbs. The toxic alkaloids are very concentrated in those areas. The dogs that dig up may expose the bulbs and taste it. It can cause mouth irritation, drooling, diarrhea, vomiting depending on the amount consumed.
- Ivy is a handsome plant used to make wreaths during festive season. This décor plant has the ability to clean the inside air of the home. It is highly recommended plant to remove fecal matter odor from the home. It is useful in homes with pet but not for those that have unruly ones. Even a small quantity can cause diarrhea, breathing problems like gasping, hyperactivity, staggering, weakness, vomiting, and tremors in pets.
- Lilies: Many varieties of this beautiful plant are toxic. It is toxic to pets than humans. Cats are more toxic to these plants. Not all lilies are toxic but most are. The symptoms of each variety are different. All part of this plant is dangerous. The cat shows lethargy, un-interest in food, vomiting, renal failure, and liver failure are the extreme end of the toxicity. So extreme care must be taken while placing any variety of Lily at home. Keep it out of reach of the pets always; even accidental chewing of 2-3 petals also may be troublesome.
- Oleander is highly deadly. The flowers look bright and innocent but as much dangerous. Even the honey from these flowers is deadly. The pets that eat any part show arrhythmia, cold extremities, vomiting, etc.
- Tulips are not so toxic. It is its bulb that is dangerous. If the pet has a habit of digging the ground and explore things, then this plant is a problem. It may cause GI troubles, drooling, and appetite abnormalities, show depression symptoms, convulsions etc.
If you suspect that your pet may have consumed any of these toxic plants, seek medical attention immediately. Do not induce vomiting especially if you do not know which plant may have caused the problem. Try to identify the plant that it may have tasted and inform the vet. The treatment may need to be specific.
This list is not complete. There are so many other plants that are toxic. The best thing to do is to make your home pet safe, by not having anything that can cause trouble for your pet.
The Name is Rajeev. I go by a lot of pseudo names because I just like to have fun. Like Shakespeare once said, “what’s in a Name?” or was is Shakespeare? I love to read. Mostly fiction. I am probably the most unromantic person you could ever meet. Loner, Claustrophobic and often mute! I love to sit on my porch, read a book while it’s raining. I live in a farm surrounded by creatures and my best friend is a dog named Happy. I have worked in the IT industry for the past 20 years. I have been writing a book since the past 6 which i doubt will be complete anywhere in this century! I love to design websites and fantasize being a Hacker or nerd!